I.Transformation of Aspirational Districts Program” Kalahandi, Odisha:
This programme was launched with a vision of a New India,with the aim to quickly and effectively transform the under-developed districts in India.The Govt. of India and the state Govt. have initiated the project in mission mode laying concerted focus on education, health and nutrition, financial inclusion &skill development and basic infrastructures.
Vedanta, as a responsible developmental stakeholder, with the noble intention to be a committed partner in the field of inclusive economic development in its area of operation, collaborated with JANASHAJYA, with a view to improving quality of life citizens in 425 villages of 26 Gram Panhchayts of Lanjigarh Block in Kalahandi District.
Thrust of Interventions
- Menstrual health management through equipped medical sub-centers.
- Quality early childcarPe services through the improved ICDS centers.
- Strengthening traditional & local enterprises through facilitation of women’s group & federations.
- Learner friendly schools through improved classrooms, playgrounds, WASH facilities, boundary walls, digital education.
- Community infrastructure development through creation of village roads, water, sanitation, & electricity through alternative energy sources.
- Quick assessment done in 26 PHCs in the operational areasand necessary equipments were supplied to those for providing better health care & services.
- Training on menstrual health hygiene and early child care services organized for frontline workers with the help of NHM which covered 64 frontline workers like ASHA, ANM workers.
- Menstrual health management (MHM) awareness to 797 adolescent girls in 9 schools.625 numbers of Menstrual Health Campsare conducted where 8583 village adolescent girls participated and made aware on menstrual health hygiene in the village level. It has resulted in increasing the awareness level and using the sanitary napkins.
- During this reporting period 234 village level immunization camps are organized and facilitated by ANMs,ASHAs and AWWs in the local leveland resulted in immunizing 2293children.
- Total 371 Village Health Sanitation and Nutritional Day, popularly known as “MamataDivasa”, were organized where total 15440 persons includingpregnant women, lactating mothers, adolescent girls and children were provided with health services and counselling.
- World breast feeding week was organized in the villages on campaign mode to make the pregnant and lactating mothers.
- With the purpose of making the schools learners’ friendly, quick assessment of infrastructural facilities in 26 schools focusing on girl’s toilet, playground, classroom, kitchen room, boundary wall, cycle stand, drinking water, electricity, etc., was done and on the basis of it applications to the appropriate authorities made to take appropriate steps in this regard.
- Cluster level entrepreneurship programme was organized which focused on financial inclusion & skill development of SHGs with a view to establishing small-scale enterprises with different income generating activities and making SHG members self-reliant through convergence with different line departments.
- Because of the bank linkage facilitation programme,168 numbers of SHGs have been facilitated to submit the relevant documents in Mishan Shakti to get linked with different banks. Total 22 numbers of SHGs have already received loan amount 36, 03,000/- till the date and started their income generating activities such as: hill broom making, spice making, poultry, goat rearing, paddy husking, mushroom cultivation, establishing grocery shops etc. Apart from above convergence made with jivanjivika scheme of ITDA.
- Awareness programmes on social security programmes have resulted in making the people aware and linked with PMJJBY,PradhanMantrySurakhyaBimaYojana (PMSBY)&Atal Pension Yojana (APY).
- With a view to strengthen the livelihood support system, farmers’ training programme organized for 39 farmers focusing on famers’ field school, package of practice, organic methods of cultivation, organic pest management, Livestock management etc.
- Due to the facilitation of the project team total 100 farmers have registered their names in Govt. database and got unique ID. It will enable them toavail various schemes like PM Kisan& other different schemes of Government, designed for the farmers and also linking them with land records to accessbetter services.. The process is also on tocover more and more farmers.
- Vaccination camps were organized in 76 villages and about 8424 livestock such as: Buffalos, cattle, sheep, goat, and chick are vaccinated. It has resulted in drastic reduction of livestock death rate.
Due to the awareness, mobilizations of the target communities following results have been achieved:-
- 131 applications are submitted in RWSS department for repairing of handpumps and out of those 117 numbers were repaired successfully. In water stress areas demand made for installation of 151 new tubewells which has resulted in installations of 57 tube wells and approval of 4 intake wells in the river bank for providing drinking water.
- The application relating to the issue of road communication of 24 villages have been submitted to at Block level and 5 numbers of requests wereput forth in the gramasabhas.
II.Odisha PVTG Empowerment and Livelihood Improvement Programme:
This is a flagship programme of Govt. of Odisha, which has been implemented since June 2017, through Kutia Kandha Development Agency (KKDA), the MPA based at Lanjigarh block, with the overall goal of enhancing living conditions and reduction of poverty of Primitive Vulnerable Tribal Group(PVTG) and other poor tribal, Scheduled Castes as well as other marginalized families in 41 villages of six Gram Panahayats in Lanjigarh Block of Kalahandi District. The said programme adopts integrated approaches, involving support for improved access to land, natural resources, agricultural technologies, financial services, markets, productive and social infrastructure apart from essential socialservices.
Thrust of Interventions:
- Improvement of food and nutrition security and livelihood opportunities of the target group.
- Sustainable agricultural practices for enhancing production & productivity.
- Empowerment of the community on entitlements over land and forest.
- Promoting income generating activities and micro-enterprises.
- Community institution building to gear up the village developmental activities.
- Ensuring access to education, health, other services by the community and improving community infrastructure.
As per the project guideline, 34 village development committees (VDCs)/village development associations (VDAs) are formed and strengthened in the operational villages. All these 34 formed VDCs/VDAs are registered and have opened bank accounts. Other committees such as: Forest Rights and Conservation Committees (FRCCs), Health and Education Committees (HECs), Social and Financial Audit Committees (SFACs) are also formed and capacitated to complement and supplement the VDCs/VDAs.
With a view to strengthen the village level institutions: Leadership training programme conducted for the VDC/VDA members, 06 confidence building measuresprogrammes are organized for the PVTGs, SHG members are capacitated on regular basis. This is to mention nearly 85% of the targeted families are linked with SHGs.Exposure visit of GPLF leaders to the best performing GPLF was also conducted.
Annual Work plan and Budget involving the VDCs/VDAs are prepared and made approved for execution. With the facilitation of project team, general body meetings are organized.
With the purpose checking early marriage, incentives provided to 03 girls for getting marriage after attaining the right age.
Under the thematic intervention of natural resource management, 150 farmers are trained on SRI of paddy and millet cultivation, 150 farmers got trained on improved cultivation of pulses, oil seeds & tuber crops and 100 persons are trained on horticulture activities.
Due to the handholding support under this programme, banana cultivation are done in 04 ha. of land, Drumstick planted in 2 ha. of land and Apple Ber in 2 ha. oc land.
With the objective of initiating nutrition-dense crop diversification, cereal/millet crops development made in 122 ha. of land, pulses, oilseeds & tuber crop cultivation made in nearly 220 ha. of land and vegetable condition made in nearly 14 ha. of land.
Under livestock development programme 231 poor families are supported with chicks, poultry shed for backyard poultry and 10 SHGs are assisted with goats with shed for goat rearing activities. Other promotional activities such as vaccination activities are also organized.
12 families are supported for collection and sale of NTFPs.
Water purification unit is demonstrated in one village. Effort is on to provide drinking water to the water stressed villages through different technologies and methods such as: Gavity based drinking water, Solar based drinking water, Electric lift drinking water project, Tube well, Bore well as per the need and feasibility.
With the convergence of MGNREGA land treatment made in 535 ha. of land, 6 no. of Gulley control structure made for checking land erosion, earthen canal of 1500 ft. constructed for irrigation, cash crop plantation of high yielding mango, cashew, lemon grass and hill broom made in 190 ha. of land are also done.
One Lemongrass Oil Processing unit is established and being maintained by Maa Tulashi SHG at Tangankana. One Dal Processing unit is established and being maintained by Pragati SHG at Baigaon. One Puffed Rice making unit is established and being maintained by MaaThakurani SHG at Bhatguda. Two Rice Mills are established and being maintained by MaaDharani SHG at Kenduguda andMaaManikeswari SHG at Bhatguda. One Oil Mill is established and being maintained by MaaTarini SHG at Maskapadar. One Press Khali & Dana making unit by Tajmahal SHG of Balabhadrapur. Besides 06 SHGs have been supported to establish pickle making units.
With the purpose of creating opportunities for increasing income and reducing poverty of vulnerable individual (Widow, Single Women Headed HHs, Destitute, PWD, Ultra Poor, Migrant Worker (Prabasi Oriya) etc. through small business unit at individual level, total 155 vulnerable people have been supported to carry out the income generating activities like Carpentry, Masonry, Tailoring, Chicken Rearing/Cutting, Grocery, Tiffin Centre, Welding, Seasonal Business, Footwear/Chapal Vending, Fancy Store etc. During the reporting period 25 persons have been supported.
III.Special Programme for promotion of Millets in Tribal Areas of Odisha:
With a view to enabling the rural poor farming communities to restore and sustain their age old traditional agricultural practices through promotion of indigenous variety of millet produces conducive to local situation and climate condition, this programme is being implemented in Lanjigarh Block of Kalahandi District with the support of Department of Agriculture and Farmers Empowerment, Govt. of Odisha through Odisha Millet Mission, focusing on Promotion of Millet processing & business enterprises, Increasing productivity through various agronomic measures through organic inputs.
Thrust of Interventions:
- Organizing and capacity building of small & marginal millet growers.
- Millet cultivation through organic practices .
- Capacity building of millet growers through exposure and field demonstration programmes on line sowing/line transplantation and systemic millet intensification (SMI).
- Market linkages and opportunities through Farmers’ Producer Organizations.
- Convergence with other line departments.
- Under this programme 8000 small & marginal millet growers.
- Field demonstration programmes on line sowing/line transplantation and systemic millet intensification (SMI) for enhancing the yield of millet are conducted.
- Orientation programmes are organized on organic agricultural practices, seed treatment and eco-friendly pest management.
- Awareness campaign on Minimum Support Price (MSP) for millets.
- Millet Processing Centre is established.
- One Farmers’ Producer Organization (FPO) named “AnchalikaAgri-Producer Company Ltd. (AAPCoL)” has been formed and registered for providing handholding support services to the millet farmers and creating marketing linkages for selling the millets.
- Convergence and linkage also established with WASSAN, NCDS, Mission Shakti, ATMA, OLM, TDCC, RMC as part of the programme mandate.
IV.Rural Drinking Water Supply Scheme & Sanitation:
V.Addressing maternal, infant young child survival amongst PVTGs (Jiban Sampark):
This programme is undertaken to enable the Primitive Vulnerable Target Group (PVTG) communities of 41 villages coming under five GPs of Lanjigarh block to access health and nutrition services of Govt. to improved survival and nutrition condition of their children in the age group 0-5 years. It is a joint initiative of Department of Health & Family Welfare, Department of Women & Child Development, ST & SC Development Department, GoI and UNICEF-Odisha.
Thrust of Interventions:
- Mother and child care
- Immunization & vaccination
- Strengthening Anganwadi members
- Capacitating PRI members
Thrust of Interventions:
- 60 VHSND sessions were organized during the reporting period with distribution of IFA, Calcium tablets, BP measurement, HB check, Blood sugar check, weight measurement, Abdominal check-up and necessary counselling by the health workers.
- Routine Immunization programmes are facilitated in all the operational villages.
- Awareness programmes on Complementary Feeding practices conducted, Arnna Prasanna Day, & Special Day for complementary feeding were observed as part of Infant Young Child Feeding (IYCF) programme.
- 03 Nos.0f Interface programme were conducted during this period with different stake holders such as: AWW, ASHA, ANM, Other NGOs, OPELIP, OPENIP, Peoples representatives in order to bring service providers & beneficiaries in single platform to discuss on service gaps and finding possible solutions.
- To create awareness among beneficiaries regarding Nutrition “Poshan week” was celebrated in all the Anganwadi Centres in the JibanSampark Area. During this activities such as: demonstration of different nutritional foods was done including local available fruit and vegetables with high nutritional value which are beneficial to pregnant & lactating mothers, adolescent girls and children of 6 month to 5 years particularly.
- Orientation programmes are conducted on Menstrual Hygiene& Sanitation, Good Breast Feeding Practices and Nutrition focusing on balance diet & its frequencies.
The programme has resulted in streamlining of VHSND & Routine Immunization sessions, capacitating of FLWs for better Service Delivery, sensitizing communities on positive health, nutrition & hygiene, enabling the beneficiaries to access to information and counselling to improve survival & growth of their children.
VI.Agriculture Production Cluster:
This programme is mainly intended to develop agriculture production centre creating and promoting sustainable agriculture mobilizing women small farmers in 100 villages of 13 Gram Panhayats in Lanjigarh block with the twin purpose of doubling the income of women farmers in collective manner and thus attaining food security among the marginalized families. The speciality of this programme is that only staff cost is supported by Bharat Rural Livelihood Foundation (BRLF), and other activities are being run with the convergence with line departments and community participation.
Thrust of Interventions:
- Forming and capacitating Farmer Producer Groups and Farmer Company.
- Capacity Building of Women farmers.
- Promotion of high value vegetable (winter crop) oil seed, high value pady and pulses cultivation.
- Ensuring irrigation facilities to check the crop loss.
- Live-stock promotion.
- Plantation of Cashew and Mango.
- 23 nos of Farmer Producer Groups and 01 no of Farmer Producer Company (FPC) are formed and capacitated.3000 HHs are covered with these Farmer Producer Groups.
- Promotion of cultivation of high value vegetable (winter crop), oil seed, high value paddy, pulses cultivation in 1980 acre of agriculture land of the marginal farmers.
- 140 poor families are assisted with poultry shelter and 20 chicks each under ITDA for backyard poultry activities.
- Deworming & Vaccination programmes conducted for Backyard Poultry, Goats and Sheep which benefitted 1030 families.
- Agricultural inputs such as power tillers, sprayers, weeders are provided to to 14 no of Farmers’ Producer Groups through ITDA, MissionJeevika for introducing mechanisation in farming.
- 02 no of pack houses are constructed through department of horticulture for creating facilities for storing, cleaning, sorting & grading of the produces especially mangoes and vegetables.
- Cashew and Mango plantation done in 264 acre of land converging the schemes of Horticulture and ITDA.
- Minor River Lift Irrigation Points are made to irrigate 532 acre of land with the convergence of OAIC, OLIC, MGNREGA and ITDA.
VII.Utkals Action for Agriculture Transformation(UANAT) :
VIII.Crop Diversification Project:
This programme is being implemented in 09 villages of 02 Gram Panchayats in Jaypatna block to train the rural marginal farmers on crop diversification for enhancing the crop production to make their livelihood sustainable.
Thrust of Interventions:
- Training on crop diversification.
- Promotion of application of organic fertiliser and pesticides.
- Facilitating and providing handholding support to lead farmers.
- Facilitating in value addition to produces and establishing market linkages.
- Promoting cultivation of pulses, millet, vegetables and non-paddy items in sustainable manner.
- 12 no of training programmes organised for farmers on sustainable Processing, Procurement, Post-Harvest and Value Addition processes where 600 nos. of farmers participated.
- 12 no of training programmes are organized for 600 nos. of progressive farmers on crop planning demonstration and package of practices.
- Promotion of cultivation of pulses, millet, vegetables and non-paddy item are made in 623 ha. of land in 09 villages.
- Organised 03 no of food competition programmes of non-paddy items and 05 no of rallies are conducted on diversification from paddy to non-paddy for sensitizing the villagers.
IX.Farmer Producer Company:
The purpose of this programme is to form and capacitate Farmer Producers Company which would play as special purpose vehicle to procure the produces from the member farmers and facilitate marketing of those as a result of which the farmers would fetch good income being free from the exploitative trap of the middlemen/third parties. Itis being implemented with the support of NABARD in 90 villages of 15 Gram Panchayats in 05 blocks such as: Narla, M.Rampur, Bhawanipatna, Lanjigarh and T.Rampurin Kalahandi District.
Thrust of Interventions:
- Institutional building.
- Facilitation for business and marketing.
- Common platform for Farmers Producers Organizations created for streamlining the collection, value addition and marketing of the different varieties of Produces like Pulses, Millet, Oil seeds, vegetable & NTFP as per the market demand.
- Capacity building programmes for Board of Directors, Chief Executive Officers and farmers are organized to make them efficient.
- Handholding support provided for statutory compliances, registration, KYC updating of Board of Directors of each FPO, & Audit.
- Business Plan of 06 no of FPOs are developed and being executed.
- Digitization of data on FPO portal is being managed regularly.
- Business activities are being identified through farmer’s production survey, market survey & involvement of members in planning process.
- 05 companieshave got the Seed & Fertilizer license for input supply.
- With the support of NABARD one rural haat is set upatBachaka village in Lanjigarh Block and the FPO is running the haat smoothly, so that the farmers of near villages were benefited.
This programmes, is being implemented with the basic purpose of digitization of all the SHG accounts to bring SHG members under the fold of Financial Inclusion thereby helping them in accessing wider range of financial services together with increasing the bankers' comfort in credit appraisal and linkage of women SHGs covering 2000 villages of 299 Gram Panchayats in 12 blocks of Kalahandi District being supported by NABARD.
Thrust of Interventions:
- Digitization of SHGs.
- Linkages with banks.
- Digitization of 8090 SHGs completed.
- 5681 no of SHG bank linkage completed.
- 64914 no of SHG members enrolled in PMSBY scheme.
- 152 no of SHG members enrolled in APY scheme.
- 32695 no of SHG members enrolled PMJJBY scheme.
XI.Other Ongoing Important Programmes:
Besides the above explained supported projects, JANASHAJYA has been consistently trying to implement some of the core programmes which are very much needed to complement and support those which are briefly illustrated below:
Capacity building of the staff members: The staff, mainly responsible for the effective implementation of the programmes, are facilitated to undergo different training and exposure programmes to enhance their skills and expertise.
Establishing linkages with the like-minded groups, forums for sharing knowledge and carry on advocacy initiatives effectively & efficiently.